For years I have been feeling this itch to do something new, professionally. I like my job as an Senior Level Interior Designer. I’ve learned a lot and have been consistently promoted and have been given positive reviews. I’m compensated well for my work and, most of the time, I feel well respected by my clients and colleagues. Regardless, I struggle with this aching desire to work for myself, or at least on my own terms. I have a lot of creative control over my designs already and I feel fortunate to work for a well-known design firm that attracts progressive clients, but… It’s a big “but”. I really want to run my own show. I love marketing and being involved with other types of design beyond Interiors such as web design, graphic design and product design. I love business, project planning and strategics. Although the firm I work for generates amazing (award winning) design work, there is some serious lacking in the other areas I’m interested in. Like most architecture firms, we’re small, privately owned, and way behind the times in terms of technology and marketing. Some of the decisions that are made by the upper-level executives are cringe-worthy and that only makes me crave my own gig even more.
What does this have to do with magick? This issue is a major one in my life and like so many magicians, for some reason I avoid doing spell work to address it. It’s like I have so many questions about where I want my career to go that I cave before I can so much as light a candle. Intellectually, I know that if you want results you HAVE to do the work. This morning I thought about what was keeping me from pursuing a new career path. Since I’m having a hard time deciding exactly what I want (do I want my own business? A partnership? To go freelance?) I have opted to focus first I what my fears are. What are the issues and beliefs that are keeping me from getting what I want… or even doing a simple spell to help achieve it.
My action plan is fluid right now. I haven’t quite sat down to figure out how I want to address this issue. So far, I know this much:
- Start by addressing my fears by listing what they are. Become aware and understand what is holding me back and evaluate my own belief system.
- Since I do not know exactly where I want my career to go I should seek help from my guides through meditation. I will meditate on this issue.
- I will do some spell work even if I don’t have solid direction as to where I want it to go. Before I can achieve results, I must do the work. The first spell can be to bring clarity and understanding of my desires. I can worry about manifesting those desires later.
- Create a schedule. I will write my fears list tonight. I will do at least a short meditation by tomorrow. I will begin a spell this weekend.
- Hold myself accountable. A witch never lies, even to herself. I keep a white board at my desk. When I write a “To Do” item on it, it is so. I do what I must do to achieve it.